SANDY SPRINGS, GA (September 22, 2021) – The City of Sandy Springs is backing its law enforcement and has approved a 20% pay raise for Sandy Springs Police Officers and Sergeants.
During its September 21, 2021 meeting, the Sandy Springs City Council voted to approve a 5% cost of living adjustment as well as an additional 15% salary increase for Sandy Springs Police Officers. All City Council members and Mayor unanimously approved this pay increase proposed by our City Manager, Andrea Surratt.
With keeping up with tradition and the spirit of being the best law enforcement agency in the state, this pay increase will help us attract, recruit, and retain only the best candidates in the country. In the past year, we have recruited officers from various parts of the country from states such as New York, Massachusetts, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, and others. The Sandy Springs Police Department will continue its nationwide recruitment efforts with a current hiring incentive of $10,000 for every out of state hire. Additionally, a $4,000 hiring incentive is available for Georgia hires.
Below is a breakdown of our updated salaries:
Starting Pay Grades
- Recruit -$52,641.00
- A recruit is defined as a new hire who is not Georgia POST certified.
- A new hire who is already certified but has less than two (2) years of Law Enforcement experience will be classified as a recruit until completion of the Field Training Program.
- After completion of the Field Training Program Recruits will be reclassified as Police Officer 1 (PO1)
- Police Officer 1 (PO1) $55,414.00
- New hires who are not POST certified but have four (4) or more years of active duty military service will be classified as PO1 with a starting pay of $55,414.
- Georgia POST certified officers with two to three years of law enforcement experience will be classified as PO1. Starting pay is based on the following matrix:
Two Years of LE Experience Three Years of LE Experience
Associate Degree $58,185 $59,676
Bachelor Degree $59,676 $61,664
- Police Officer 2 (PO2) -$61,290
- An officer who is Georgia POST certified and has four or more years of law enforcement experience will be classified as a PO2.
- All in state hires - $4,000
- All out of state hires - $10,000
Full-time employees receive a contribution of 12% (City paid) of their annual salary into the City's 401(a) beginning the first month following one month of employment. Employees are eligible for a 457(b). The City will add an additional 5% (City paid) into the employee's 401(a) for the first 5% the employee contributes to their optional 457(b) for a total of a 22% retirement contribution
If you would like to join the Sandy Springs Police Department, please visit our career center and fill-out the online application.
To watch our recruiting video and learn more about our department, please click below: